Forums

Posting in these forums is disabled. These forums will be available for archive purposes. Please join the new forums at the links below:

• yui-support - replaces the `YUI 3.x` and `YUI 3 Gallery` forums.
    We have created the following discussion categories within this group to aid discoverability for these most-used topics:
    • Charts for YUI Charts support.
    • DataTable for YUI DataTable support.
    • Gallery for YUI Gallery support, including support for published Gallery components as well as the Gallery process in general.
    • Tools for support of YUI’s suite of developer tools such as selleck, shifter, grover, yogi, etc.
    • Everything Else for questions that don’t fit one of the categories above, we’ve got you covered here.
  • yui-deprecated - replaces the `YUI 2.x` forum and the forums of other deprecated products (`YUI Doc`, `Builder`, `YUI PHP Loader`, etc.).
  [ 5 posts ]
New Topic | Post Reply | Print view
Previous topic | Next topic

Ara Pehlivanian

YUI Contributor

• Username: ara_p
  • Twitter: ara_p
  • GitHub: arapehl
  • Gists: arapehl
Tags:
  • code yeti next yetinext pause load code walk

Pause before each test? (Yeti next)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:48 am
I'm in the process of writing tests for existing code and using Yeti to run through them all. The trouble is, when an error is encountered in a test, the browser has already blown past it and Yeti is back to its listening page giving me no chance to see the loaded scripts, debug them and walk through the code. The only thing I can do is guess where the failure occurred and throw debugger statement in there to force Yeti to wait. This sometimes also crashes Yeti, but that's besides the point.

Would it be possible to include an option to pause before each test or a specific test (via special comments). That way, once the page is loaded, I can set breakpoints and walk the code.

Reid Burke

YUI Developer

• Username: reid
  • Twitter: reid
  • GitHub: reid
  • Gists: reid
  • IRC: reid
  • YUI Developer

Re: Pause before each test? (Yeti next)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:22 am
Good idea. Perhaps when a script error or test failure occurs and a --break option is given, we can pause the test run until you press Enter in the terminal.

Or maybe we can collect the failed pages during the test run, then open them at the end for debugging.

Yeti should not crash after long waits anymore. Yeti v0.1.x would crash after 2 minutes of waiting with no data sent. Yeti v0.2.x explicitly disables the Node.js socket timeout causing that crash. Let me know if that's still a problem.

You can upgrade to Yeti v0.2.1 (or the latest release version) with:

{{{
npm install -g yeti
}}}

Or the bleeding edge version with:

{{{
npm install -g http://latest.yeti.cx
}}}

Thanks!

Ara Pehlivanian

YUI Contributor

Tags:
  • crash
  • server
  • yeti

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 am
I was running 0.2.0 (just upgraded to 0.2.1) and it would crash but not because of the debugger statements. It tends to crash more often when I abuse it. I'm not 100% sure how to replicate it yet (haven't been paying close attention, been focused on writing tests) but it tends to happen when I'm abusing it. ;)

It seems to happen when my tests have problems (bad paths to files, errors in scripts, no browsers pointing to yeti server when I start a test run) and then the test hangs and I break out. Then I run it again after fixing stuff and at the end of the run yeti server crashes. Something like that. :)

Reid Burke

YUI Developer

• Username: reid
  • Twitter: reid
  • GitHub: reid
  • Gists: reid
  • IRC: reid
  • YUI Developer
Tags:
  • ticket

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:30 am
Okay, thanks for letting me know. Yeti v0.2.1 can now tolerate missing test files. In the next couple of releases, I'll improve error handling when browsers disconnect or have network problems.

The next version will include most of the tickets here: http://yuilibrary.com/projects/yeti/spr ... t=Sprint+6

If you find any reproducible errors that aren't in Sprint 6, feel free to file them. Thank you!

Ara Pehlivanian

YUI Contributor

Tags:
  • firefox

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:40 am
Now that you mention it, I have been having trouble with Firefox. For some reason, it's the only browser (regardless of OS) that ends up with an "undefined" in the URL at the end of a test and fails to go back to the waiting state. Seemed like to big and obvious of a problem so I figured it's just broken for me. Not sure though how to debug that. For the time being I'm just running tests on other browsers.
  [ 5 posts ]
New Topic | Post Reply | Print view
Previous topic | Next topic