Forums

Posting in these forums is disabled. These forums will be available for archive purposes. Please join the new forums at the links below:

• yui-support - replaces the `YUI 3.x` and `YUI 3 Gallery` forums.
    We have created the following discussion categories within this group to aid discoverability for these most-used topics:
    • Charts for YUI Charts support.
    • DataTable for YUI DataTable support.
    • Gallery for YUI Gallery support, including support for published Gallery components as well as the Gallery process in general.
    • Tools for support of YUI’s suite of developer tools such as selleck, shifter, grover, yogi, etc.
    • Everything Else for questions that don’t fit one of the categories above, we’ve got you covered here.
  • yui-deprecated - replaces the `YUI 2.x` forum and the forums of other deprecated products (`YUI Doc`, `Builder`, `YUI PHP Loader`, etc.).
  [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous1, 2, 3 Next
New Topic | Post Reply | Print view
Previous topic | Next topic

Ian Hill

Tags:
  • github
  • node

Re: NPM (w/ Node 0.4.4) hangs installing YETI

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:15 pm
Hi,

I am having the same problem.

Node: v0.4.4
NPM: 0.3.18
Yeti: 0.1.6

After installing the above, then doing the manual abbrev install as suggested, I'm getting the same error.

Error: Cannot find module 'connect/middleware/router'

Looking at the readme's for Express and Connect, and their Node version compatibility:

* Express - https://github.com/visionmedia/express

Express 1.x is compatible with node 0.2.x and connect < 1.0.
Express 2.x is compatible with node 0.4.x and connect 1.x

* Connect - https://github.com/senchalabs/connect

Connect < 1.0.0 is compatible with node 0.2.x
Connect >= 1.0.0 is compatible with node 0.4.x

But the dependency versions installed and specified by Yeti are:

* Yeti - https://github.com/yui/yeti/blob/master/package.json

Code:
"dependencies" :
    { "express" : "=1.0.0"
    , "connect" : "=0.5.0"
    , "jade" : "=0.5.7"
    , "optparse" : "=1.0.0"
    }

Which are Express 1.0.0 and Connect 0.5.0.

Are the versions of those dependencies going to work with Node 0.4.x? Seems to not be listed as compatible on the vendor pages.

Hope that helps in some way, I'm looking forward to trying out Yeti :)

Cheers,

Ian

Reid Burke

YUI Developer

• Username: reid
  • Twitter: reid
  • GitHub: reid
  • Gists: reid
  • IRC: reid
  • YUI Developer
Tags:
  • github
  • node

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:32 am
Ian,

I'm working on fixing Yeti for the imminent npm 1.0. This is a major task: since I can't include Express, Connect, Jade and optparse with Yeti's source for legal reasons, I'm unable to use these earlier versions with npm 0.3 or npm 1.0 since they no longer install properly.

Why? Well, npm 0.3 flat-out broke backward-compatibility with packages designed for npm 0.2. (And sadly, npm 1.0 will break compatibility for npm 0.3 packages.) Yeti 0.1.x and its dependencies were designed for npm 0.2.x, so you'll need to downgrade to npm 0.2.19 to use Yeti right now.

The current version of Yeti requires a manual install of abbrev, since the optparse package I used to depend on was (accidentally) removed by the npm registry administrator after I published the package.

I understand this is very painful. Even though I don't control npm, I can help you get started today: you just need to jump through some hoops. In another week, I'll have a version of Yeti that'll work with the latest npm.

So, for now, to use Yeti:

Any Node.js v0.4.x works fine.

Install npm 0.2.19. Checkout source from: https://github.com/isaacs/npm/tree/v0.2.19 and install with `make dev`.
If you currently use npm, you'll need to remove or move away your existing node libraries folder.

Then, run:

npm install abbrev
npm install connect@0.5.0
npm install yeti

I sincerely appreciate your interest in using Yeti. I'm exploring many options, including getting permission to bundle my dependencies with the distribution, to prevent my users from taking the hit from npm's design changes in the future.

Thanks so much,

Reid

Ian Hill

Tags:
  • node

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:56 am
Hi Reid,

Thanks for the detailed reply, it's helped a lot as I am only starting to become familiar with npm through trying to get this to work and don't think I would have ever figured out the version dependency issue.

I'm looking forward to the Yeti release for npm 1.0, it's an exciting project. I hope that the dependency and repo issues start to settle for you once npm hits 1.0, looks like there's a lot of messing around between versions.

I'll keep playing around with npm to try the downgrade configuration.

Cheers,

Ian

Reid Burke

YUI Developer

• YUI Developer
Tags:
  • node

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:21 pm
I'm preparing to release a version of Yeti that works with npm 0.3, the current stable version of npm. It should also work well with npm 1.0.

I'm going to be testing across a few different machines this evening, including npm 1.0 and 0.3 installed on a clean slate, to make sure new users won't have any problems.

If you'd like, you can try it now. It should just work.™ Let me know if you have any problems:

git clone https://reid@github.com/reid/yeti.git
npm install .
yeti -s

Thanks for being patient, everyone!

Reid

Ian Hill

Tags:
  • node

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:39 am
Hi Reid,

I updated to your new version and followed the steps. It installed fine and I was able to start a yeti server and run a test file successfully. Everything was looking good until I tried to run the test file a second time, which resulted in a node error.

If I stop yeti and restart it, I can get the test to run successfully the first time, but not additional times.

I started yeti with:
Code:
$ yeti --server
Yeti will only serve files inside /yeti-test
Visit http://localhost:8000, then run:
    yeti <test document>
to run and report the results.

Then ran a sample test:
Code:
$ yeti test.html
Waiting for results. When you're done, hit Ctrl-C to exit.
✔  Example Suite on Firefox (4.0) / Mac OS
   3 passed,  0 failed

I then hit Ctrl+C and tried to run yeti test.html again and received the following output:
Code:
Fatal error: Error: socket hang up
    at Client.<anonymous> (http.js:1524:26)
    at Client.emit (events.js:64:17)
    at Array.<anonymous> (net.js:825:12)
    at EventEmitter._tickCallback (node.js:126:26)

Danger, Will Robinson. Your Node.js may have been installed by Homebrew.
npm doesn't work correctly with Homebrew.
Before reporting a Yeti bug, try reinstalling Node.js without brew.
    Zero to Node guide: http://gist.github.com/579814
    npm bug: http://github.com/isaacs/npm/issues/issue/257

If you believe this is a bug in Yeti, please report it:
    http://yuilibrary.com/projects/yeti/report
    or email: yeti@reidburke.com
    Yeti version: 0.1.7pre
    Node.js version: v0.4.4

I'm using homebrew with node, so it's possible that is the cause, but I do find it interesting that the server and tests were actually working fine for the first run. Could it be something else, or is it potentially homebrew's node?

I'm using standard npm install, not the homebrew npm package, which was removed from their repo a while ago due to issues. So npm and its packages are all installed by native npm, only node itself is installed via brew.

The server reported the following error at the same time:
Code:
Error: Can't use mutable header APIs after sent.
    at ServerResponse.getHeader (http.js:542:11)
    at ServerResponse.header (/usr/local/lib/node/.npm/express/2.2.1/package/lib/response.js:227:17)
    at ServerResponse.send (/usr/local/lib/node/.npm/express/2.2.1/package/lib/response.js:77:19)
    at /usr/local/lib/node/.npm/yeti/0.1.7pre/package/lib/server.js:149:17
    at EventEmitter.ADDCB (/usr/local/lib/node/.npm/yeti/0.1.7pre/package/lib/server.js:92:13)
    at EventEmitter.emit (events.js:81:20)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/local/lib/node/.npm/yeti/0.1.7pre/package/lib/server.js:79:19)
    at param (/usr/local/lib/node/.npm/connect/1.2.3/package/lib/middleware/router.js:148:21)
    at pass (/usr/local/lib/node/.npm/connect/1.2.3/package/lib/middleware/router.js:164:10)
    at Object.router [as handle] (/usr/local/lib/node/.npm/connect/1.2.3/package/lib/middleware/router.js:170:6)

Cheers,

Ian

Ian Hill

Tags:
  • github
  • node

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:22 am
Regarding the error:
Code:

Is it potentially related to recent changes in node error reporting, where it was previously failing silently?

For example, a discussion on the Express GitHub issue tracker regarding the same error has the following comment from TJ Holowaychuk:
Quote:
yeah the main issue is that calling next() or res.send() etc twice is bad, but previously node would just fail silently, so chances are we were doing this all over before, but people are only noticing it now due to the changes in node.

https://github.com/visionmedia/express/issues/561#issuecomment-898748

Johnny Weng Luu

YUI Contributor

Tags:
  • node

Really need to get this working!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:15 am
When will yeti work on current stable version of node and npm?

I really wish to use it ASAP =)

Ian Hill

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:39 am
Hi,

Now that npm 1.0 has been released, I've had another go at getting Yeti to work. I'm using the same steps as before, outlined by Reid above, with a fresh npm install.

Unfortunately, the outcome is the same.

Yeti loads correctly, and the first run of a test suite works correctly, but any follow up tests return:

Code:

I'd love to hear from anyone that has the latest yeti working with npm 1.0 to rule out whether it's yeti, node, or npm that's causing the issue.

Ian

Reid Burke

YUI Developer

• YUI Developer
Tags:
  • github
  • node

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:27 am
Hi! Thanks for your report. If you have the time, a working version should be available on my GitHub's yeti fork. I'll be releasing it very soon after fixing a few bugs related to its standalone mode (using it without a server)

Thanks,

Reid

Reid Burke

YUI Developer

• YUI Developer
Tags:
  • node

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:33 pm
Hey everyone,

Yeti 0.1.7, released today, should work well with npm 1.0. Please try installing the latest with:

npm install -g yeti

As of npm 1.0, you'll need to specify "-g" to make Yeti available as a global tool in your PATH.

If you still have problems, let me know! I'll be working to make more frequent releases now that things are working smoothly with a stabilized npm.

Reid
  [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous1, 2, 3 Next
New Topic | Post Reply | Print view
Previous topic | Next topic