Forums

Posting in these forums is disabled. These forums will be available for archive purposes. Please join the new forums at the links below:

• yui-support - replaces the `YUI 3.x` and `YUI 3 Gallery` forums.
    We have created the following discussion categories within this group to aid discoverability for these most-used topics:
    • Charts for YUI Charts support.
    • DataTable for YUI DataTable support.
    • Gallery for YUI Gallery support, including support for published Gallery components as well as the Gallery process in general.
    • Tools for support of YUI’s suite of developer tools such as selleck, shifter, grover, yogi, etc.
    • Everything Else for questions that don’t fit one of the categories above, we’ve got you covered here.
  • yui-deprecated - replaces the `YUI 2.x` forum and the forums of other deprecated products (`YUI Doc`, `Builder`, `YUI PHP Loader`, etc.).
  [ 9 posts ]
New Topic | Post Reply | Print view
Previous topic | Next topic

fm1981

• Username: fm1981
  • GitHub: fm1981
  • Gists: fm1981
  • IRC: fm1981
Tags:
  • connection
  • get
  • utility
  • cross-domain

Using YUI's Get Utility to get Cross-Domain HTML file!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:58 am
+0-
Hello,
I have a question regarding YUI's Get Utility, if someone can answer please.

I am using YUI's Connection Manager to make an ajax call and get an HTML file. The issue with this is Cross-Domain data retrieval. As I was trying to find a solution to this, I found out about YUI's GET utility (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/get/), which allows cross domain retrievals.

The question I have is that is it only meant for script files and CSS, or can I use it to get HTML files? It is a requirement to get the content from HTML files.

Thanks,
Faisel.

Ryan Grove

YUI Developer

• Username: rgrove
  • Twitter: yaypie
  • GitHub: rgrove
  • Gists: rgrove
  • IRC: rgrove
  • YUI Developer
Tags:
  • css
  • utility

Re: Using YUI's Get Utility to get Cross-Domain HTML file!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:14 am
+0-
No, Get can only load JavaScript and CSS files. The only way to load cross-domain HTML files would be to use a cross-domain XMLHttpRequest or Flash. Both of these are supported by the IO module in YUI 3, but are not supported in YUI 2.

fm1981

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:54 am
+0-
Thanks for your quick reply Ryan. Saved me some time....I will look into the other options that I have, since I am not sure when we will upgrade to YUI 3.

Thomas S. Sha

YUI Contributor

• Username: tsha
Tags:
  • connection
  • examples
  • io
  • utility
  • xml

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:03 am
+0-
Did you have a look at this YUI 2 example: http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples ... n/xdr.html ?

The flash transport, from YUI 3 IO, was backported to YUI 2. There are specific requirements to make cross-domain requests with this transport, namely the deployment of a crossdomain.xml policy file with the correct permissions (see: http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/connection/#xdr).

Regards,
Thomas

Todd Smith

YUI Contributor

• Username: stlsmiths
  • GitHub: stlsmiths
  • Gists: stlsmiths
  • IRC: t_smith
Tags:
  • utility

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:05 am
+0-
Hey Ryan / Faisel,

I haven't used this but doesn't YUI 2 provide some xdr capability via the "connection.swf" Flash connector http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/connection/#xdr ?

Todd

Ryan Grove

YUI Developer

• Username: rgrove
  • Twitter: yaypie
  • GitHub: rgrove
  • Gists: rgrove
  • IRC: rgrove
  • YUI Developer

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:07 am
+0-
@Thomas/Todd: Whoops, you're right, YUI 2 does support Flash-based XDR! I didn't even notice that had been backported. Kudos.

fm1981

Tags:
  • utility
  • yql

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:59 am
+0-
Yes, I knew about doing XDR with Flash, but
1.) it creates a dependence on Flash, and if someone does not have Flash (very small % of users), that may be an issue.

2.) The code will be used by multiple applications, possibly across multiple domains, so policy file deployment is another factor.

I was also looking at YQL, but the issue that I will run into here is that the page should be reacheable by YQL.

The option is to use a server proxy.

I am just trying to figure out the best solution.

Thanks everyone

Nick Husher

YUI Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:58 am
+0-
Cross-domain content retrieval is a sticky wicket.YUI is able to easily handle cross-domain JS and CSS is that you can plug a script or link tag into your document with the URL, and the browser will download it for you.

Markup is a different beast entirely: you can include content with an iframe, but it's standboxed. You can use a flash-based XDR request, but that relies on flash and requires policy files to be placed in the right place (as you mention). You can use a cross-domain XHR request, but that's not available across all major browsers.

It's my experience that a local proxy that lets you grab remote content is the most straightforward way of doing things.

Todd Smith

YUI Contributor

• Username: stlsmiths
  • GitHub: stlsmiths
  • Gists: stlsmiths
  • IRC: t_smith

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:26 am
+0-
I agree fully Nick. With respect to a local proxy approach, are you referring to (for example) using a PHP script on the server to grab content (using curl or other similar libraries) and then providing it to the client front-end? This would all be same-source and not XDR.
  [ 9 posts ]
New Topic | Post Reply | Print view
Previous topic | Next topic