Forums

Posting in these forums is disabled. These forums will be available for archive purposes. Please join the new forums at the links below:

• yui-support - replaces the `YUI 3.x` and `YUI 3 Gallery` forums.
    We have created the following discussion categories within this group to aid discoverability for these most-used topics:
    • Charts for YUI Charts support.
    • DataTable for YUI DataTable support.
    • Gallery for YUI Gallery support, including support for published Gallery components as well as the Gallery process in general.
    • Tools for support of YUI’s suite of developer tools such as selleck, shifter, grover, yogi, etc.
    • Everything Else for questions that don’t fit one of the categories above, we’ve got you covered here.
  • yui-deprecated - replaces the `YUI 2.x` forum and the forums of other deprecated products (`YUI Doc`, `Builder`, `YUI PHP Loader`, etc.).
  [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3 Next
New Topic | Post Reply | Print view
Previous topic | Next topic

Marc

YUI Contributor

Destructor and reinitialization

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:21 am
+1-
Hi,

I have always had a bit of a vague understanding of what you need to explicitly do in a destructor method and what kind of thing you can expect to be handled automatically. I would love to have a clear explanation on this.

I'm asking this also in the context of implementing a pjax style structure. I execute YUI components based on a customized "loader". Basically, it checks for the existence of certain nodes and then loads the appropriates modules and initializes them. Some of these modules are full fledged Base or Widget based components, others are simple object structures. Most of them have some kind of delegate, mouseenter or click listener.

In the pjax approach, I load page fragments. Since each page fragment can contain "new" functionality, I reinitialize the page with each pjax load. This includes reinitializing most of the components that were there already on the previous load. This feels like a surefire way to create memory leaks, hence the interest in the above topic. Any grandfatherly advice on how to generally deal with this context? The anwer can begin with "Now look here son," if you want.

Kind regards,
Marc

Eric Ferraiuolo

YUI Developer

• Username: ericf
  • Twitter: ericf
  • GitHub: ericf
  • Gists: ericf
  • IRC: eric_f
  • YUI Developer
Tags:
  • dom
  • event
  • list
  • storage

Re: Destructor and reinitialization

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:12 am
+1-
You're right, the destruction phase of a component's lifecycle is important to clean things up to avoid memory leaks.

The most common thing to clean up is event subscriptions that the component has made on other components, whether those be DOM nodes or custom components like widgets and models. Any events a component subscribes to on itself (i.e., this.after('fooChange', ...);) will be automatically cleaned up when calling a Y.Base-based class' `destroy()` method.

What is not automatically cleaned up are things like event subscriptions on other components or internal data objects. A class like Y.ModelList uses both of these things and therefore its `destructor` has been implemented such that will clean these things up. You can use ModelList as a guide for what to clean up, and how to do it.

ModelList's `destructor()` method simply calls it's `_clear()` method:
https://github.com/yui/yui3/blob/master ... st.js#L202

The `_clear()` method will empty out all of the list's internal data storage, and detach all of its models from itself:
https://github.com/yui/yui3/blob/master ... st.js#L974

The `_detachList()` method will remove the list as an event bubble target of each model:
https://github.com/yui/yui3/blob/master ... t.js#L1007

ModelList does all this to break references to these other objects which it normally holds. This way garbage collector can do its job when the developer's code is no longer holding onto a reference to the list.

Marc

YUI Contributor

Tags:
  • base
  • event
  • number

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:58 am
+0-
Thanks, that leaves me with some additional questions:

* What if you initialize a component within a component. Do you need to explicitly call that second component's destructor? in the first component's destructor

* What about event subscriptions to nodes that are created in the component? on('click' delegate('click etc

* Because of the risks of memory leaks I assume there are a number of cases where using a Base extension over a component as a plain object structure is more or less a requirement. Such as when you use plugins withing the component, subscriptions as you described. Anything else?

Satyam

YUI Contributor

• Username: Satyam
  • GitHub: Satyam
  • Gists: Satyam
  • IRC: DevaSatyam
  • YUI Developer
Tags:
  • widget

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:21 am
+1-
I usually write my destructor immediately after my initializer so that whenever I create something I write the code to dispose of it right below.

If I create an object, I destroy it. The owner of the object is responsible of its destruction. The only exception is if the object is shared with some other object, then, it all depends on who owns it and if the object is equally shared, no one can safely destroy it on its own. Some means usually have to be provided to coordinate this.

Widget tries to destroy all events of elements within its bounding box if destroy is called with a true arguments, but this is not the default as it is expensive. It will get rid of those listed in _UI_ATTRS and UI_EVENTS, which you would rarely touch and take no time to deal with. As for the rest, it is better to detach everything you attached, it is faster and it is clearer. And if you attached something to some element outside of the bounding Box, you simply have to, there is no way it can figure that out.

I usually have an empty array into which I push the handles of all the events I create, whenever, wherever they are created (that is, the return value of each on(), after() or delegate() call). Then, in the destructor, I simply loop through this array calling detach on each handle.

Eric Ferraiuolo

YUI Developer

• Username: ericf
  • Twitter: ericf
  • GitHub: ericf
  • Gists: ericf
  • IRC: eric_f
  • YUI Developer

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:23 pm
+0-
+1 to Satyam's advice. This is what I do as well.

Marco Asbreuk

YUI Contributor

• Username: itsasbreuk
  • Twitter: itsasbreuk
  • GitHub: ItsAsbreuk
  • Gists: ItsAsbreuk
  • IRC: Marco Asbreuk
Tags:
  • array
  • base

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:57 pm
+0-
I do agree with Mark: I wished there was some documentation around that explains this topic thoroughly.

Still one of Marc's questions makes me wonder. What when you have an array that is filled with other arrays, or with objects that contains arrays? Is emptying the 'master'-array enough to prevent memoryleaks? Or do we need to loop through that as well? (would be great with complex structures).

Regards,
Marco.

Juan Ignacio Dopazo

YUI Contributor

• Username: jdopazo
  • Twitter: juandopazo
  • GitHub: juandopazo
  • Gists: juandopazo

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:21 pm
+0-
Now you folks got me wondering if we should also destroy Node instances in our widget destructors.

Satyam

YUI Contributor

• Username: Satyam
  • GitHub: Satyam
  • Gists: Satyam
  • IRC: DevaSatyam
  • YUI Developer
Tags:
  • array
  • node

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:12 am
+0-
Marco:

If those arrays contain objects that have destructor methods, you should call those destructors, but you don't need to delete the items in the array itself.

Juan:

Good point and I'm afraid the code I looked at seems not to be thorough in its cleanup. As far as I can tell, the Widget destructor does call the remove method on the bounding box, which will call the destroy method of that node, however, it does not set the 'recurse' argument to true so that it doesn't actually go all the way into the widget contents.

This is somewhat scary since in complex widgets you don't have real control over how many Node instances might have been created, for example, in a DataTable, if the cell has been clicked, a Node instance might have been created if the developer asks for it, but that is quite off the control of DataTable itself so it cannot really know how many might have been created.

If this is so, we have a big memory leak in our hands. I am sure, or at least I really hope, that I missed something and things are cleared up somewhere that I missed. I have to go now, but I'll do some tests later on.

Anyway, perhaps a static lazy Node cache purge might be a good idea. Some async task that could be launched and go through the Node cache and check if their entries still point to valid nodes, a few nodes at a time.

Marco Asbreuk

YUI Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:49 am
+0-
@Satyam, thanks.

I understand why to call all destructors, for you need to clean whatever they initiated.
But Eric's example (destructor Y.ModelList), the function _clear() makes this._items empty after calling all destructors. I suppose this wasn't necessary strictly spoken?

Marco.

Marco Asbreuk

YUI Contributor

Tags:
  • ticket
  • widget
  • yui3

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:06 am
+0-
@Juan,

Consider this ticket http://yuilibrary.com/projects/yui3/ticket/2532640.

In my opinion, widgets structure should be changed slightly:

Within widget._destroyBox() there should be a declaration:
deep = this._destroyAllNodes ? this._destroyAllNodes : this.DESTROY_ALLNODES;

(where DESTROY_ALLNODES=true; <-- standard)

Thus 'recurse' argument is standard set to true. Only if those who don't want to suffer the performance-penalty could set it off by making widgetinstance.DESTROY_ALLNODES=false. But they need to make sure they clean up their Node-instances themselves.

At the moment, most of us who don't realize suffer a posible memoryleak of created Node-instances.

Marco.
  [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3 Next
New Topic | Post Reply | Print view
Previous topic | Next topic